Returning Students

As a returning student, here are all the steps you need to take to attend the University of Montana:

Complete the Application for Readmission

Students previously enrolled at the University of Montana-Missoula for degree-seeking undergraduate programs and who have interrupted their enrollment for more than 24 months must submit the Application for Readmission. The Application for Readmission can be completed online and should be submitted one month before registration to avoid registration delays and late fees. There is no fee for eligible former students applying for readmission.

When completing the application, please indicate your former dates of attendance and your student ID number (if available). Re-Apply Now.

Upcoming Application Deadlines:

Summer 2024 (10-week Session and first 5-week session): May 20
Summer 2024 (Second 5-week session): June 17
Fall 2024: August 19

Submit Transcripts

If you attended another college or university since you last attended UM, then you must submit official transcripts from those institutions even if your absence from UM has been less than two years. Please click the link below for information on sending transcripts.

Sending Transcripts


If you plan on taking advantage of the various on- or off-campus UM housing options, then your next step will be to apply for housing. You can apply for and find out more information about housing through the Residence Life Office. They can be reached at (406) 243-2611 or check out their website. All housing is assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. The sooner you apply the more likely you are to have your request met! You can apply for housing online at the UM Housing website.

Apply for Financial Aid

If you want to be considered for federal aid, including Pell grants, student loans, and work study, then make sure to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before the priority deadline of November 15. Applying after this deadline will not exclude you from being considered for aid, but the sooner you apply the better. You can find out more information about the FAFSA on the Financial Education website. UM Financial Aid Code: 00-2536.

Submit your Health Form

New or former students who are applying for readmission after an absence of 24 months or more must submit a Medical Requirement Form to the Curry Health Center before registration can be permitted. You can access a copy online at the Curry Health Center.

Meet with an Academic Advisor

Meeting with an academic advisor is the best way to determine what classes and other requirements you need to complete to earn your degree. All undergraduate students are required to meet with an academic advisor in order to register for classes. You are responsible for arranging a meeting with an advisor. Please view your department's website or the Campus Directory for the contact information of your department.

Registering for Classes

Once you have met with your academic advisor, you can register for classes online through Cyberbear.

Start Attending Classes!

Begin attending classes as a UM student! Here is a list of starting dates for upcoming semesters.

Need help?

Call the Enrollment Services Office at (800) 462-8636, or send an email to