End of Fall Semester Info
Closing for Winter Break
- The Residence Halls close for Fall Semester at Noon on Monday, November 30, 2020. All residents must leave for the break and be out of their room by Noon on November 30th unless they have signed up in their myHousingPortal to stay.
- Before you leave for Winter Break
- Clean out your fridge but DO NOT unplug it. Please remove any items that will spoil while you are gone but leave the fridge plugged in.
- Empty your garbage and recycling bins.
- Close your windows.
- UM Housing assumes all residents will return for Spring Semester unless they notify UM Housing by submitting a Residence Halls Contract Release form before 5:00 pm on Friday, November 13, 2020. If you are planning to move out at the end of fall, please read the Moving Off Campus for Spring Semester section below.
Staying On Campus for Spring Semester
- Residents staying on campus for Spring Semester may leave their belongings in their assigned room over Winter Break. Residents will not be able to access their rooms during the break; therefore, it is important to make sure all items needed for the break are taken when leaving at the end of Fall Semester. Access to the room to collect an item after Noon on November 30th may be available (except in Pantzer Hall); however, there is a $10.00 fee for this access and UM Housing staff will escort the resident to and from the room to grab items needed.
- If needing to stay past Noon on Monday, November 30, 2020, residents must sign up in their myHousingPortal by Friday, November 20, 2020.
- The Residence Halls open for Spring Semester at 9:00 am on Wednesday, January 6, 2021. If you need to arrive before January 6th, you will need to make arrangements to arrive early by signing up in your myHousingPortal. All requests for early arrival must be submitted 3 business days in advance of arrival date. There is an additional charge for arriving early. Early arrival charges will be determined by the total number of nights a resident stayed during the time of Winter Break (after Noon on November 30, 2020 - before 9:00 am on January 6, 2021). If a resident stayed late at the end of Fall Semester and returns early for Spring Semester, their charges will be determined by the total number of nights stayed. For rates and more details see our Winter Break webpage.
Due to the completion of the remodel project, residents assigned to Pantzer Hall will not be permitted to access the building, their room, or storage units in Pantzer between Noon on November 30, 2020, and 9:00 am on January 6, 2021. Residents do not have to remove all of their belongings from Pantzer and should only take the items they want for during Winter Break. Be very sure to take all items needed as residents will not be permitted access to Pantzer, including Pantzer storage, and UM Housing staff will not access the building to retrieve items during Winter Break.
What happens if my roommate is not returning for Spring Semester?
If a resident’s roommate is not planning to return for Spring Semester and completes an official checkout, the remaining resident can elect to either:
- Keep their room a double as a single - this is an extra cost
- Have a new roommate assigned for Spring Semester during Winter Break
- All residents currently in double rooms (who have not already bought the room as a double as a single) will receive an email the morning of their floor meetings, November 5th. This email will have a link where the student can request either of the two options listed above. Please note, if the resident does not submit any response they will default into being assigned a new roommate. Residents will have until November 30th to submit a response. Residents may submit a response regardless of if they know their roommate's plans for spring, and UM Housing will adjust room types and rates when applicable.
- If a resident submits a request to keep their room a double as a single: if a resident's roommate is approved to not live in the Residence Halls for Spring Semester and completes a proper checkout at the end of Fall Semester, the remaining resident's rate will be adjusted to the double as a single once the roommate's checkout has been processed. Please be sure to review our Rates webpage before electing this option! Rate changes will happen automatically and residents will be notified after the change has been made. If a resident submits a request to keep their room a double as a single but their roommate does not move out, the room will remain a double and both roommates will remain assigned to the room.
- If a resident submits a request to have a new roommate assigned OR does not submit a response: the remaining roommate must have all their items on their side of the room and the room in "Ready Room" condition before they leave for Winter Break.
- Full definition of "Ready Room" condition can be found on our Option Letters webpage under the Option 2 | New Roommate for Spring section. UM Housing maintenance staff will be entering the room to clean and inspect for damages during the break. If the remaining resident has taken over both sides of the room with their belongings, UM Housing staff reserves the right to charge the resident the full double as a single rate for the Spring Semester because they are occupying the entire room.
- If the resident is charged for a double as a single and would like to have their room returned to a double, once they return for spring they can remove their items from the other side of the room and request our staff inspect the room again. Once the UM Housing staff inspects the room and approves the clean-up, the UM Housing Office will remove a prorated amount of the double as a single and re-add a prorated amount of the double room rate. The date of proration will be determined by the date the UM Housing staff completes their inspection.
Moving Off Campus for Spring Semester
- All residents planning to move off campus at the end of Fall Semester must be approved by the UM Housing Office. This includes, but is not limited to, those who are planning to live off campus but still attend UM, those transferring or otherwise not attending UM, and international students returning home.
- Those planning to not live in the Residence Halls for Spring Semester must submit a Residence Halls Contract Release Request form before 5:00 pm on Friday, November 13, 2020.
- Requests received after November 13th may be assessed a $40.00 late vacate notice fee.
- All release requests must be reviewed and approved by the Director of UM Housing and not all requests are approved. Approval is contingent upon each person's particular circumstances. The review process can take a couple days, particularly with the high volume of requests at the end of the semester, so plan ahead and submit your request at least a week before you plan to actually check out!
- If approved to move off campus, a checkout authorization must be completed with the UM Housing Office and a proper checkout must be completed by Noon on Monday, November 30, 2020. If not checked out by this time, the resident's release will be rescinded, and they will be required to live on campus for Spring Semester and will be responsible for Spring Semester housing charges. Please review the checkout guide for more information on completing a proper checkout.
Winter Break Housing
- Housing is available between Noon on Monday, November 30, 2020, and 9:00 am on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, for an additional charge.
- Arrangements must be made by submitting a request in the student's myHousingPortal. All Winter Break housing requests must be submitted 3 business days in advance. Fall residents wanting to stay past Noon on closing day, November 30th, must submit their request to stay past closing by Friday, November 20th.
- For more details see our Winter Break Housing webpage.