Dr. Luis Millán
The University of Montana Symphony Orchestra (UMSO) was founded in 1903 and has developed into one of the best university orchestras in the Northwest. The ensemble performs five to seven unique programs throughout the academic year including an annual tour; works with faculty, student, and guest soloists; and collaborations with UM Choirs and Opera Theatre. Membership in UMSO is determined by auditions held the beginning of Fall semester and is open to music majors and non-majors.
To audition for the 2017-2018 UM Symphony Orchestra, click on the link below for information about the audition process and the excerpt that is provided for your instrument. Auditions will take place on August 27-30, 2017.
Tenor Trombone Excerpts
Bass Trombone Excerpts
- Symphonies by Beethoven, Borodin, Brahms, Dvorak, Haydn, Kalinnikov, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Schubert, Sibelius, and Tchaikowsky
- Tone Poems by Liszt, Mussorgsky, and Smetana
- Operas by Mozart and Puccini with UM Opera Theatre
- Mozart’s Coronation Mass with UM Chamber Chorale
- Many world-premieres, including works by UM student composers
- Other masterworks including Britten’s Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes, Mahler’s Kindertotenlieder, Rimsky-Korsakov’s Capriccio Espagnol and Berlioz’s Roman Carnaval Overture
UM Symphony Orchestra has been directed by Dr. Luis Millán since 2003.