Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

You will not earn credit for the semester.  Your transcript will list your courses for the semester and a W is the assigned grade for each course.  Your cumulative grade point average and total number of credits earned will remain the same as they were when you first enrolled for the semester, unless an alternate grade, grade change or repeat has been marked.   The credits will show as attempted credits and will be counted towards the financial aid credit cap.
If you are using Federal Financial Aid to pay for the semester (e.g. Pell Grant, Student Loans, etc.) you will need to meet with the Withdrawal Coordinator in Business Services so that they can speak to you about the process of paying back the aid you used to pay your Registration Bill.  
Any refund you receive will be figured against the cost of your own total tuition and deducted from that amount.  If you have passed the refund deadline and still owe one or two installments, you will be required to pay your remaining balance.  Contact the Cashiers in Lommasson 237 for further information.
You may return to school any semester.  Contact your advisor during the registration period so you can plan your schedule and receive your advising PIN.  You may then use CyberBear to register.  If you are absent from the UM for two or more years (dating from the time of withdrawal) you will need to complete an Application for Readmission Form, available at the Office of the Registrar in Lommasson 201 or available at
If you are a foreign student, be sure to communicate with the Foreign Student Services Office prior to completing your withdrawal.


No.  Once you withdraw, you no longer considered a student, which prevents you from living in the dorms, family housing or Lewis & Clark Villages.  Please see a housing representative for special request.
No.  You may not use the Student Health Services after you withdraw.  If the student is currently being seen at the Curry Health Center a referral for care will be made on an individual, as needed basis.
If you withdraw during the first three weeks of school, you will not be covered by Blue Cross Insurance and will receive a refund.  If you receive a medical withdrawal the insurance you registered for can be protected for the semester.  If you withdraw after the third week, you will be covered by the Blue Cross Insurance and will not receive a refund.
No.  Your Griz Card is inactivated when you withdraw.
You can use the library facilities; however you must be a current registered student to check out books or other media.
No, unless you are withdrawing due to an injury or other medical reason that requires you to need Physical Therapy and you plan to attend the following semester.  You may contact Campus Recreation at 243-2804 to inquire.
No.  You may no longer work as a student at a position on campus.   The only way to continue with such a job is for your employer to hire you as classified staff.


A percentage-based refund of tuition and fees does occur when a student officially withdraws before the first day of classes or within the first 15 class days of each term.  Students ceasing to attend classes who do not complete an Official Withdrawal form and as a result do not receive any passing grades for the semester will be considered an unofficial withdrawal and will not receive any consideration for refund of tuition and fees.

You may get a refund for the textbooks during the first three weeks of school if you have the receipts and did not write in the textbooks.  If you complete a hardship petition form, the week refund time may be extended.  Contact the UC Bookstore for details.
Full refunds are available if you withdraw during the first three weeks of school.  Please contact the Office of Public Safety, 243-6131, for more details.

Reason for Withdrawal

If you withdraw due to being activated by the military, be sure to tell the staff at the Office of the Registrar in Lommasson 201 and you will be referred to the Registrar or Associate Registrar to discuss financial implications.
If you are withdrawing due to personal medical reasons (not a family member, friend or pets medical reason) you will want to see a Withdrawal Coordinator to initiate the process.  Documentation from your health care provider will be required to complete the hardship petition. 

Hardship Petition

Hardship petitions are issued to students whose own overwhelming, unexpected health problems have significantly interfered with their ability to succeed academically.
A hardship petition allows a student the option to maintain the student Blue Cross / Blue Shield insurance coverage if withdrawing during the first 3 weeks of the semester. After the first 3 weeks of the semester, there is no refund option and the insurance coverage remains in effect for the semester.
No.  This situation is not related to the student's own health condition and therefore would not qualify as a hardship petition.  That does not prevent a student from withdrawing, however.  This type of withdrawal would be handled through the registrar's office as a personal withdrawal.
Students with chronic medical conditions can withdraw through the University of Montana's normal withdrawal process.
The hardship petition withdrawal process is not the appropriate venue to resolve or petition academic matters.  Such concerns must be addressed in the student's respective department, school or college.  In addition, the hardship petition withdrawal process is not an alternative means to drop classes after the normal drop date, to remove unwanted grades, or preclude resulting academic/financial aid actions (warning, probation, suspension, etc.)
  • If seen at the Curry Health Center as a client, documentation from visits within the Curry Health Center will be available for evaluation.
  • If the student was seen by an off-campus physician/medical provider or counselor, they must arrange for:

    1. documentation of diagnosis and visits dates;
    2. any other pertinent information that the client feels is helpful to documenting his/her situation.
    3. records of hospitalization, inpatient or outpatient, mental health treatment, inpatient or outpatient drug treatment referral.