Group Fitness Instructor Training
Group Fitness Instructor Training Course
This course will be offered every fall semester. Dates and times subject to change each semester.
This course is designed to provide theoretical knowledge and practical skills in preparation for a national certification exam in group fitness instruction. Topics include guidelines for instructing safe, effective, and purposeful exercise, essentials of the instructor–participant relationship, principles of motivation to encourage adherence in the group fitness setting, effective instructor-to-participant communication techniques, methods for enhancing group leadership, and the group fitness instructor’s (GFI’s) professional role.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Differentiate the role of the GFI from other health and fitness professionals
- Prepare and implement exercise programming for the separate elements of a group fitness class
- Apply the principles of exercise science, human anatomy, and biomechanics to movement design and exercise instruction
- Identify the principles and methods of training for cardiorespiratory fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility
- Apply various teaching techniques and strategies to enhance exercise instruction in the group fitness setting and create memorable, inclusive movement experiences
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills
- Recognize the GFI’s role in participant safety, legal issues, and professional responsibility
Kelsey Albin has been a successful trainer, fitness instructor, and fitness program manager for the last 9 years. Kelsey received her Bachelor’s Degree from Indiana University and her Master’s Degree from the University of Nebraska. At both universities, Kelsey was able to teach a version of a Group Fitness Instructor Course and she is looking forward to sharing this with the University of Montana student community! Kelsey is an ACE-certified Personal Trainer, Medical Exercise Specialist, and Group Fitness Instructor. Additionally, Kelsey has her 500 Hour Registered Yoga Teacher certification through Yoga Alliance. In her free time, Kelsey loves to be outside riding her bike, climbing, hiking, and spending time with her husband Tyson and their adventurous dogs, Bella, Louie, & Meeko.
This course will meet every Tuesday and Friday from October 5th - December 3rd, 2021
Tuesdays will meet from 2-3:30pm in the Fitness & Recreation Center Conference Room
Fridays will meet from 1-3pm in the Fitness & Recreation Center Fitness Room 003
*There will be a 1 week break from the course November 1st – 5th
The 8-week course is a $200 investment. This includes 5.5 hours/week of guided instruction from a qualified ACE-certified professional, a 20% discount on books, a 20% discount on the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Exam, and a free UNLIMITED Group Fitness Pass at UM Campus Recreation.
Books cost $199.95
Space is limited to 6 participants.