Work Orders


Emergency maintenance requests should be placed by calling 243-6091 throughout the work week. Contact the UM Police Department at 243-6131 for after-hour and weekend emergencies. Items that should be considered emergency maintenance issues include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Mechanical problems that threaten life or limb
  • Damage to buildings
  • Items that affect building security
  • Broken exterior windows during the heating season
  • Overflowing toilets and sinks


All student housing is maintained by UM Housing, please visit the FAQ associated with your housing to find the procedure for that area. Please submit a maintenance request through UM Housing's Housing Portal.


Done on a first-come, first-served basis, non-emergency work orders will be completed as quickly as possible. If the work on the job has not begun within 30 days, please contact the Work Order Desk to check on the status.


Requests for building maintenance can be submitted online through FAMIS. All UM Staff and Faculty have access. Maintenance requests can also be placed over the phone by calling 243-6091, or via email at

Work Order FAQs

While we do encourage UM Staff and Faculty to use FAMIS to submit Work Orders, we can also process Work Orders over the phone. Of course, if it is an emergency, such as water flowing over the floor, it is important to call immediately. Work Control’s number is (406)243-6091.

From the UM home page:

  • Click on the MY button at the top of your browser
  • Select EMPLOYEE VERSION and scroll down to STAFF RESOURCES
  • click on MAINTENANCE REQUESTS, you will then be prompted to enter your netID

Alternatively, head to the Facilities Services home page, then click the Submit Work Order button. From there you will be prompted to enter your netID and Password.

Any Work Order can be found using the Find Request tab in FAMIS. If it is a request you’ve made, it can be found under the My Requests tab. If you’d like a hard copy of the Work Order for filing purposes, navigate to the Request Details page by clicking on the Request ID/Work Order number in question. Under the Other Options slider is a link to Print Work Order.

Non-emergency Work Orders are typically done on a first-come, first-served basis. The individual shops are responsible for prioritizing their work. If your request has time constraints, please include that information in your request, or call Work Control at (406)243-6091.

On the Request Details page, the Request History allows any requestor to check on the progress of their Work Order. The Status of the Work Order will indicate when it is Open, In Progress, Complete, On Hold, Closed, etc. If you would like to be notified when the work is complete, please make note in the details of your request.

If changes need to be made to your Work Order, you can add a comment in the General Comments field on the Request Details page. This will send a notification to the Assigned To, and show up in the Request History. For pressing changes, call Work Control at (406)243-6091.

We will continue to offer occasional training courses for FAMIS, both as a resource for Staff and Faculty members in new positions, and to keep Users fresh. For more immediate training, consult the step-by-step directions here on the Facilities Services website, or contact Work Control at (406)243-6091.

UMPD can open and lock exterior building doors at certain times throughout the week, but interior building doors are the responsibility of the Staff and Faculty in the respective departments. Exceptions can be made for holidays and weekends. Contact UMPD at (406)243-6131.

For simple estimates, like office painting and equipment rentals, just indicate in the description of your request that you’d like an estimate before work is performed. For larger, project-based estimates, please contact the work odor desk at (406)243-6091.

Items Valued >= $5,000

To surplus any item that has a UM Property (or Asset) tag, fill out the Surplus Declaration Form on the Business Services website. Once the form has been approved, Business Services staff will submit a work order to Facilities Services to pick up the item.

Electronic Equipment

Contact the Sustainability Office’s E-Waste Coordinator Derek Kanwischer


Submit a work order using TYPE: Moving & Delivery (UMM) and Sub Type: Surplus Furniture Pickup (UMM)

When requesting work for and event, please provide the group or event name, all dates and times of the event, all room numbers/spaces involved in the event, all tasks in need of completion, and when tasks need to be performed in advance on the event.

All catered events will likely need Custodial Services, and larger events will require additional Custodial services for restroom facilities. To assist our Custodial Crew in scheduling, please provide estimates for attendance, exact location(s), when Custodial Services are requested, and any special instructions.