Invite an International Scholar to UM


On July 2, 2020 the following Presidential Proclamation 10052 was issued which temporarily halts the issuance of J visas for interns & trainees. Due to this, the University of Montana is unable to sponsor international interns at UM or our affiliate campuses at this time.

In addition, many travel restrictions and embassy/consulate closures still remain in effect. Please check our COVID-19 International Travel Guidance for the most up to date information about acquiring a visa and traveling to the U.S.

The Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Program provides foreign nationals (including scholars and researchers) with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the U.S. and to return to their home country to share their experiences.  Currently, the University of Montana sponsors the following J-1 categories:

The role of the International Students & Scholars office is to assist you and your visiting scholar in navigating the J-1 visa process and to support your visiting scholar and their dependents throughout their time in the United States. Click the link below to connect to all the resources you will need to host an international scholar, or contact us directly at for more information. 


Navigating the J Visa Process