International Admission Overview

International Admission Overview

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, students should monitor the embassy website specific to their home country for updates. A full list of embassies can be found on the embassies official website.

To be granted full admission, applicants must hold the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Usually transcripts will be evaluated by the Graduate School, however, in unusual circumstances, the University may require applicants to submit their credentials to an outside agency before an admission decision will be made.

Applicants whose native language is not English must submit an acceptable English language proficiency test score. The acceptable tests for admission, including conditional admission, are in the table below.

  • Applicants whose test scores meet the minimum may be unconditionally admitted to a university graduate program, provided they meet that program's application standards.

    • Applicants should consult with individual programs to see if there are higher standards for English proficiency in their chosen program. 

  • The Graduate School will not accept the TOEFL ITP test for admission.

  • If applicants have lower scores, they can apply for conditional admission, provided they are academically eligible, and their score meets the minimum in the conditional column in the table below.

    • Graduate students conditionally admitted to the university must be enroll in the English Language Institute (ELI), and then score sufficiently high on an English proficiency exam to gain unconditional admission to the university.


Minimum Score

Minimum Score for Conditional Admission

TOEFL IBT (IBT Home Edition also accepted)



TOEFL Essentials









Exemptions from Providing Proof of English Proficiency

Applicants who are graduates of English-speaking universities are not required to take the TOEFL, IELTS or MET.

If you have received a high school, bachelor's, master's, or doctorate degree from an institution in the United States or a country listed below, an English proficiency examination is not required.  Please see the list below.


Antigua & Barbuda





British Virgin Islands

Canada (except Quebec)

Cayman Islands


Falkland Islands







Isle of Man





New Zealand


St. Kitts & Nevis

St. Lucia

St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Trinidad & Tobago

Turks & Caicos Islands

United Kingdom

United States Territories

Copy of Passport

Please send along a copy of your passport via email or postal service.

The 2024-2025 estimated costs of attendance (9 to 11 credits) at The University of Montana for an academic term of 9 months are:


UM Graduate


AY 2024/2025

Single Semester

(Spring or Fall)

Tuition & Fees



Living Expenses






UM Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant Non-Resident


AY 2024/2025

Single Semester

(Spring or Fall)

Tuition & Fees



Living Expenses



Total Without Waiver



Tuition Waiver (if applicable)



Total With Waiver




Graduate Certificate of Financial Responsibility Form

Before issuing a visa (I-20) form, the Graduate School must receive a certified statement from a bank or sponsoring agency indicating that at least $47,106 (U.S. currency) is available to meet the first-year cost of study. If applicants will be receiving a Teaching/Research Assistantship, the Graduate School must receive an official letter from the applicant's program with the specifications of their assistantship, including terms applicable, stipend amount, and if a tuition waiver will be in effect. If the assistantship funding package does not cover the full $26,856 (U.S. currency), applicants must supply a certified statement from a bank or sponsoring agency indicating ability to cover the remaining amount in order to meet the first-year cost of study. Applicants may be asked to put this sum on deposit with The University of Montana. Upon admission, an Admissions Coordinator will be in touch to assist with the visa process, and will be able to assist with any financial calculations applicable to the applicant's situation.

If applicants plan to bring their family to the United States, add $3,000 to the financial statement for a spouse and for each child (under the age of 21). All estimates of cost are subject to change by the Montana Board of Regents without prior notice.


If you are currently attending a college or university in the United States and have an F1 visa, you must submit a Transfer Clearance Form to your international student office. It must be completed by them and returned directly to The University of Montana Graduate School. Please do not print this form unless you have already completed one of our online applications. 


Most programs do not offer teaching assistantships to first-year students from non-English speaking countries. Occasionally particular programs grant research assistantships to international students. However, applicants should not apply for admission unless they and/or their sponsors are able to provide the cost of at least the first year of study.

Contact Us

Questions regarding international admissions requirements can be directed to the Graduate School at

If you need your transcripts evaluated a couple of options are sites such as the World Education Services site and the Educational Credential Evaluators site. 

UM's International Students and Scholars office has more information about student visas.

International Students and Scholars
The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive #2160
Missoula, MT 59812-2160
Telephone: (406) 243-5509
Fax: (406) 243-6115