International Students

Application Instructions

International student applicants must follow the New Applicant Instructions in addition to meeting all the requirements below.


In the United States, law programs awarding the Juris Doctor degree are graduate programs, requiring an undergraduate college degree as a condition of admission. All applicants must at a minimum have completed a four-year college bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree requiring four years of college study.
If you received your undergraduate degree from an institution in which English was not the instructional language, you must submit an Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report showing a minimum score of 600 on Paper, 250 on Computer, or 100 on Internet (Concordance Table). The University of Montana School of Law’s school code is N4489-00.
An original, current financial statement from the applicant’s bank/sponsor must certify that funding will be available to cover estimated expenses during the applicant’s first year at the University of Montana School of Law, including additional funds to cover expenses for a spouse and/or children.
Admitted applicants must satisfy certain visa requirements before enrolling. Foreign nationals, except Canadians, need a passport issued by their own government and a visa issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate to enter the United States. To obtain an F-1 (student visa), applicants must first obtain Form I-20AB, which the University will issue upon acceptance for admission. Canadian students must have an I-20AB form and a copy of their financial statement for inspection at the U.S. port of entry. Visit the Global Engagement Office's page on Student Visa Information for more information.