Deadlines & Requirements
Applications are accepted for Fall admission only. In order to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship, an application file must be complete by February 1. The deadline for receipt of application materials for admission is March 15. Complete application packets received after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
- A grade-point average of at least 3.0 for all college work.
- An undergraduate degree in linguistics is not required, but an introductory course in linguistics is strongly recommended.
- Applications may be considered for provisional admission.
English Requirements for International Applicants
Applications from international applicants whose native language is not English must include evidence of English proficiency. For further information about English language requirements and minimum test scores, please refer to the International Student Admission page of the Graduate School website. Currently, the Linguistics Program does not admit students conditionally.
Electronic submission is preferred for all documents.
Documents to be submitted to the Graduate School via the online application:
- Application form and fee
- 3 letters of recommendation*
- A 1-2 page statement explaining why you want to pursue an MA degree in Linguistics at the University of Montana, your qualifications for studying linguistics at the graduate level, and your future career goals
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of English proficiency
- For Teaching Assistant applicants only: a writing sample (no more than 15 pages).
Documents to be submitted directly to the Linguistics Program:
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for University of Montana alumni.
If necessary, documents may be sent by surface mail to the Linguistics Program at the following address:
University of Montana
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812-5112