Pathway Admission

Applications Steps

1. Complete an online application
2. Pay the application fee
3. Submit required application documents

4. If you are currently in the U.S. on an F-1 visa, you will also need to submit a form to help with Transferring an F-1 Visa

You can also download our International Admissions Checklist to help you submit all required documents.


By submitting your application early there will be plenty of time to request test results and academic records as well as apply for a student visa.

A completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the following dates:

Fall Semester: June 15

Spring Semester: November 15


For information on current costs of attendance for international students, please see our Expenses and Scholarships web page.


Students admitted for our Pathway program are not immediately eligible for our incoming student scholarships. Once a student has met the English proficiency requirement for full admission he or she will be eligible for scholarship consideration.

For more information on scholarships for students who meet full admission requirements to undergraduate programs, please see the Office of Financial Aid Scholarships web page.

Application fee

A non-refundable US$30 application fee. The fee must be in U.S. currency.

You can pay online after you submit the online application
OR you can mail a check or a money order with your documents. 
Checks and/or money orders should be made payable to the University of Montana.

English language proficiency

Please see our English proficiency page for more information on testing requirements for the Pathway program.

iTEP English Proficiency Exam

Students who have been offered Pathway Admission to UM have the option to sit for the iTEP English Proficiency Exam during orientation week.  Depending on the score they receive, students may have a chance to move into Full Admission status in their first semester.  See iTEP English Proficiency Test for more information.

Academic Records

To be eligible for admission, freshman students must have the equivalent of a 2.5 GPA. Transfer students must have the equivalent of a 2.0 GPA.  UM Undergraduate Admissions will calculate the GPA when we evaluate a student's educational records. 

General Requirements

Submit official* transcripts, academic records, diplomas, national examination results, certificates or degrees received from all secondary, post-secondary, university and/or professional schools. 

All academic records must be in the original language accompanied by an English translation.  The applicant may make the translation themselves.  

* Academic records are considered official when they are issued directly by the school, educational bureau or ministry, sealed in an official school envelope and signed or stamped across the back flap by the school registrar or other appropriate education official.  To submit the academic records students can: 1) request the school or education bureau send the academic records directly to University of Montana or 2) send the records themselves as long as they remain sealed in the original envelope.  Please send official academic records by regular mail to:

University of Montana
Undergraduate International Admission
101 Lommasson Center
Missoula, MT 59812 USA

The University of Montana reserves the right to require further verification of all transcripts and academic records submitted by students.

Country-specific Requirements

If you have completed study in one of the following countries, please see the link(s) below for specific instructions on submitting academic records:

Financial Information

Upon admission to University of Montana, international students need to submit documentation to be considered for the I-20 Certificate of Non-Immigrant Student Status that is used to apply for a U.S. study visa.

You can find information on required documents on the Financial Documents for the I-20 web page.

Copy of passport

Submit a copy of the information page in your passport. The passport should be valid for at minimum six (6) months beyond a your entry into the U.S. for study and ideally for the length of the anticipated degree program.

Transferring an F-1 Visa

In addition to the steps above applicants currently in the U.S. on an F-1 visa must submit a completed Transfer Form