External Scholarships

Each year UM students bring with them hundreds of thousands of scholarship dollars that have been awarded from external organizations. The information below can further assist students in identifying scholarships for which they might be eligible.

External organizations that are providing scholarships to UM students should send checks to the address below. The student's name, and if known, student ID number, should be included with the correspondence.

Financial Aid Office 32 Campus Drive University of Montana Missoula, MT 59812

External Scholarship Resources

It is important to self-report any external or outside donor scholarships you are expecting to receive for an academic year to the UM Financial Aid Office as those scholarships may impact the federal financial aid you are eligible for. In addition to ensuring your financial aid is processed correctly, by self-reporting scholarships it also allows for the Financial Aid Office to track any scholarship funding you are expecting and trouble shoot when a expected scholarship does not arrive. 

Self-reported outside donor scholarships can be reported on CyberBear. Instructions on how to self-report a resource

One good way to identify scholarship sources is to search a free scholarship database. Be cautious in providing information of a personal nature. Below is a selection of popular sites.

These websites provide excellent information on obtaining external grants and fellowships for graduate students.

The Graduate College:
Hosted by the University of Illinois, this site links to 800 fellowship listings and has advice for writing proposals and other resources to securing funding for graduate studies.

Francisco A Tomei Torres has compiled many good resources for finding scholarships, graduate fellowships and postdoctoral awards.

Students who have demonstrated unusual ability, achievement, drive, leadership skill and experience, manifested concern for others, and/or commitment to their fields of study should contact the Director of External Scholarships and Advising for scholarship advising and coaching.

External scholarship applications for the Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Gates Cambridge, Truman, Udall, Goldwater, Carnegie Junior Fellows Program, and other opportunities require long-term coaching and usually an official UM nomination, so start the process as soon as you learn about the program.


Kylla Benes, Ph.D.
Office of External Scholarships & Fellowships
(406) 243-5241; Davidson Honors College 116

Community Foundations are non-profit organizations that act as scholarship clearinghouses for awards available to students residing in a specific city, county, community or state.

For example:

To find a community foundation in your area perform an Internet search for "community foundation scholarships" along with the name of your town, county or state.

Some foundations are members of the Council on Foundations. Searching their member list may also be helpful in identifying a foundation in your area.

Conservation Related Field:

Phil Tawney Hunters Conservation Endowment:
The Phil Tawney Hunters Endowment honors the memory and perpetuates the legacy of the late Phil Tawney, lifetime sportsman and conservation leader. The Endowment offers scholarships to students who are full time, a minimum of 3.0 GPA, and an academic major in a field related to conservation. Application must be submitted by January 16th.

Health Related Field:

First United Methodist Church Foundation: The First United Methodist Church Foundation of Missoula is now accepting applications for the 2015 Katie Payne Scholarship. This $2000 scholarship will be awarded to a woman who has completed at least one year of post-secondary education and is planning a career in nursing or a related medical arts field or who is interested in pursuing a career in law, government or political sciences. The recipient of this award does not need to be a member of the United Methodist Church. Applications are due April 15th.

Education Majors:

Montana PTA Scholarship:
The Montana PTA scholarship program offers financial assistance to students entering a Montana college or university with plans to become an educator. This year we are awarding one $1,000 scholarship to a graduating high school senior in Montana. Deadline for this application is April 1st.

Journalism or Public Relations Related Field:

IFEC Scholarship:
IFEC brings food service editors, PR professionals and newsmakers to exchange and share resources. IFEC is offering scholarships to those in the journalism and public relations fields.

The Veterans United Foundation is offering scholarship to veterans. To apply, you must write an essay of no less than 500 words, have a 2.5 GPA, have a connection to the military through one of these channels:

  • A current active-duty service member
  • Veteran of the United States Armed Forces
  • Spouse of a service member or veteran
  • Surviving spouse or child of a fallen service member
  • Child of a service member or veteran

The essay prompts and additional information are located on the Veteran's Foundation webpage.

Foreign Student and Scholars Services has compiled a list of scholarship opportunities available to international students.

Wally McClure Student Fisheries Scholarships:
The Resource Action Fund (RAF) was established by MCAFS in 1989 and has provided over $140,000 to support projects relating to Montana's aquatic resources. Originally designed to support small outreach and on-the-ground projects proposed by Chapter members, the fund has evolved to consider all types of RAF proposals, including habitat, management, conservation, fish passage, research, and data management projects from both members and non-members Focus areas include projects showing clear benefit to native and special concern species. See their website for more detailed requirements, as well as varying deadlines.

Watson Children's Shelter Alumni Scholarship:
This scholarship is to assist former residents with post high school educational needs. Qualified applicants must be 16 years or older. Must have resided at WCS for 24 or hours or more, have completed a GED or received a high school diploma and show need for assistance towards a higher educational need such as college or trade school. See online for more detailed requirements. There is no deadline. To apply, visit the Watson Children's Shelter webpage.

Hayek Fund for Scholars:
The Hayek Fund for Scholars awards grants to aspiring and established academics pursuing liberty-advancing careers and educational initiatives that go beyond standard curricula. The two-fold aim is to help scholars advance their careers, and to innovatively connect students with the ideas of liberty. The Hayek fund includes two distinct award categories. See their website for detailed requirements.

Soroptimist International of Hamilton: Soroptimist International of Hamilton is an organization seeking to improve the self-worth, health, and socioeconomic standing of local Bitterroot Valley women and girls. The Fellowship Award is available to any woman who resides in Ravalli County and holds a Bachelor's or Master's Degree from an accredited college or university. Applications must be received by January 10th.

Not all scholarship opportunities are legitimate. If applying for a scholarship requires a fee, or deposit then it is a scam.

If you receive an unexpected scholarship check please use caution. Scholarship checks should be sent to the Financial Aid Office to be deposited into your UM student account.

Some individuals use the lure of a scholarship to steal your identity. Never give out your social security number or bank information for a scholarship.

If it sounds too good to be true, do your research. When in doubt ask an expert.