ASUM Legal Services
Low Cost Legal Services for Students
ASUM Legal Services has provided low cost legal assistance to eligible students of the University of Montana since 1975. We are comprised of two attorneys, Lou Villemez and Jessie Lundberg, a Legal Assistant, and law school student interns working under the supervision of the attorneys. There are small fees charged for the service, starting with $25 for a legal advice appointment with an attorney. Fees for advice appointments may be waived if they would cause financial hardship.
COVID-19 Update: Legal Advice Appointments Available by Phone or Zoom
In order to limit the spread of COVID-19, ASUM Legal Services is providing services remotely via email, telephone and zoom. Please follow the instructions under "How To Apply" below, and request an appointment by phone or email. ASUM Legal Services is continuing to waive the $25 fee for advice appointments in Landlord-Tenant and Consumer Debt cases.
Legal Needs Survey
We want to understand your legal needs. Click here to fill out the survey.
We are not able to provide full attorney representation on every case, but our goal is to provide legal advice to every student in need. There is a fee of $25 for your initial advice appointment, and additional fees for additional services. We provide legal advice, assistance and sometimes attorney representation on a variety of legal matters, including but not limited to:
- Landlord & Tenant
- Other Housing Issues: For other housing issues (such as foreclosure or discrimination) please contact us.
- Family Law: Divorce, custody, child support.
- Consumer Matters: Debt problems, car sales and repair problems, fraud and identity theft.
- Criminal Cases
- Civil Rights
- Property Damage
- Document Drafting: Wills, Powers of Attorney, informal Guardianships, Living Wills, Deeds, Contracts, etc.
We can provide advice, resources, or referrals for nearly any legal issue.
Know Your Rights Quiz
How well do you know your rights? Take our Consumer Rights Quiz to be entered for a chance to win $10. Winners will be announced at the end of Fall Semester 2020.
In addition to specific legal advice and assistance, ASUM Legal Services offers a wealth of legal information and legal resources for the students of the University of Montana, including:
- Our Legal Resources Database
- Self Help forms: Montana Court forms and instructions
- Montana Legal Services Association: Legal help for low income persons
- Montana Law Help: Do It Yourself assistance
- Lawyer referrals for cases that we can't handle
- Referrals to other resources and agencies, both legal and non-legal