ASUM Legal Services
COVID-19 Update: Legal Advice Appointments Available by Phone
In order to limit the spread of COVID-19, ASUM Legal Services is providing services via email, telephone and zoom. Please follow the instructions under "How To Apply" below, and request an appointment by phone or email. ASUM Legal Services is continuing to waive our $25 fee for advice appointments in Landlord-Tenant and Consumer Debt cases through Tuesday, August 18.
Low Cost Legal Services for Students
ASUM Legal Services has provided low cost legal assistance to eligible students of the University of Montana since 1975. We are comprised of two attorneys, Lou Villemez and Jessie Lundberg, a Legal Assistant, and law school student interns working under the supervision of the attorneys.
How to Apply for Legal Services
In order to obtain legal advice and assistance, you must be a student at the University of Montana. You must complete our intake form(s); please fill out the general intake form and any supplemental form for your case type (criminal, family, landlord-tenant, etc.). These forms are linked below, or you can contact us by calling 406-243-6213 or emailing email@example.com.
Please fill out the forms completely, including:
- A detailed summary of your problem/question
- The names of anyone who is involved with your legal issue, including the adverse/opposing person(s)
- Your Student ID Number, phone number, address, email address, your student status (full time or part time), and your expected date of graduation.
- Provide all documents relevant to your case, such as letters, tickets, court orders, leases, etc.
You should then email the form(s) to us along with all documents relevant to your case to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the intake forms:
After you submit the intake form(s) and documents we will screen your intake within 1-3 days and contact you with the services that we are able to provide. Depending on your case, we may only be able to provide referrals and resources. If we are able to provide legal advice, we will contact you to schedule an appointment. If you receive an appointment to receive legal advice there is a fee of $25. There may be additional fees for additional services.
Legal Needs Survey
We want to understand your legal needs. Click here to fill out the survey.
We are not able to provide full attorney representation on every case, but our goal is to provide legal advice to every student in need. There is a fee of $25 for your initial advice appointment, and additional fees for additional services. We provide legal advice, assistance and sometimes attorney representation on a variety of legal matters, including but not limited to:
- Landlord & Tenant: Please contact the ASUM Renter Center for all rental and landlord/tenant issues and questions. They will refer your case to us if you need legal advice or assistance. Please contact ASUM Renter Center directly.
- Other Housing Issues: For other housing issues (such as foreclosure or discrimination) please contact us.
- Family Law: Divorce, custody, child support.
- Consumer Matters: Debt problems, car sales and repair problems, fraud and identity theft.
- Criminal Cases:
- Civil Rights
- Property Damage
- Document Drafting: Wills, Powers of Attorney, informal Guardianships, Living Wills, Deeds, Contracts, etc.
We can provide advice, resources, or referrals for nearly any legal issue.
In addition to specific legal advice and assistance, ASUM Legal Services offers a wealth of legal information and legal resources for the students of the University of Montana, including:
- Self Help forms: Montana Court forms and instructions
- Montana Legal Services Association: Legal help for low income persons
- Montana Law Help: Do It Yourself assistance
- ASUM Renter Center
- Lawyer referrals for cases that we can't handle
- Referrals to other resources and agencies, both legal and non-legal
COVID-19 Financial Resources:
Due to the unprecedented circumstances brought by the pandemic, you may have some financial questions. Below are some helpful resources:
- Some FAQs on the CARES ACT, the recent stimulus package
- UM Financial Education Program's website
- COVID-19 & Your Finances: Informational video on how COVID-19 impacts your finances
- UM Financial Education Resources
Know Your Rights Quiz
How well do you know your rights? Check back here Fall 2020 semester to take our Quiz and receive a chance to for a cash prize. Winners will be announced at the end of Fall Semester 2020.
Immigration Law Legal Resources
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide legal services in the area of Immigration Law. Here are some resources for assistance with those issues:
- National Immigration Law Center
- Montana Law Help: Immigration
- ACLU Know Your Rights: Immigrants' Rights
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services