The Global Living Learning Community (Global LLC) gives students the opportunity to think globally, but connect locally. First-year students interested in living with people who are interested in global issues and in people from different backgrounds, countries, and with different viewpoints are encouraged to live in this community. The community will include both U.S. and international students who might be paired as roommates if they indicate interest. Who should apply? Students from any major interested in traveling abroad or meeting people from other countries, international students, and/or students who want to be part of the Franke Global Leadership Initiative.
Participants are encouraged to take one or more of the following courses and should discuss these with their advisor to see what works best with their academic plan:
- C&I 195 – Global Competence (2 Credits)
- Students admitted to the Franke GLI will take a Global Leadership Seminar (3 Credits)
- GPHY 121 or 141 – Human Geography or Geography of World Regions (3 Credits Each)
Programing, Events, and Opportunities
- Global culture nights. Curated international films paired with meals or snacks from the film’s country of origin.
- Social gatherings with visiting international students. Access to cultural activities with Asian students visiting UM for short-term leadership programs. Join rafting trips, cultural nights, and more.
- Special scholarships. Funds of up to $500 to help support your overseas work or study. These scholarships may be awarded during your first year as a Global LLC resident, but used later in your UM career.
The Global Living Learning Community is located in Miller Hall. Female residents live on the South wing and male residents live on the North wing of the 3rd floor.
How to Apply
To apply for the Global LLC, you must submit a Residence Halls Housing Application and indicate the Global LLC preference on the Living Learning Communities page. If a student has already applied to housing and is interested in this community, they can update their LLC preferences in their application in their myHousingPortal as long as it is before room assignments for the following fall have begun.
To Change Application Preferences:
Prior to April 1st, if a student has already applied to housing and is interested in this community, they can update their LLC preferences in their application in their myHousingPortal as long as it is before room assignments for the following fall have begun.
Room assignments for the following fall generally begin in April of the preceding spring. Once assignments begin, you are not able to update your application yourself.
- If you are assigned a room - changing your application preferences will not change your room assignment. If you are interested in moving into the LLC after you have already been assigned a room for the fall semester you will need to sign up on the summer waitlist which will be available in your myHousingPortal. The summer waitlist generally opens on May 1st.
- If you have not been assigned - you can contact Casey Cronin to see if we can update your LLC preferences before you are assigned a room. Please note that once room assignments begin in April they are done on a continuous basis. If you are wanting to update your preferences and have not been assigned, contact our office right away so we can try to update your request before the next round of assignments are made.
Contact for Additional Information
For additional information about the Global Living Learning Community, please contact John Nugent, Director of Residential Education and Community Standards, or MacKenzie Forbis, Program Coordinator for Franke Global Leadership Initiative.