|Theatre (Acting)||MFA||Program Description|
|Theatre (Design/Technology)||MFA||Program Description|
|Theatre (Directing/Music Direction)||MFA||Program Description|
Applications are accepted as follows:
- MA Theatre: every three years; next application cycle TBD
- MFA Theatre (Acting): every three years; next application cycle TBD
- MFA Theatre (Design/Technology): every year
- MFA Theatre (Directing/Music Direction): every three years; 2023-2024 for entry Fall 2024
Admission Application Instructions
Applying for admission to the graduate program in Theatre is a two- or three-step process:
Prior to applying: send an email to email@example.com expressing interest in applying and include your current resume/CV. Most individuals will subsequently follow the below two steps.
Fill out the online application. There are three steps involved in the application process.
- Fill out and submit the Graduate Program portion of the application that comes up when you click the above link. An email will be sent to you with a link to setup your account and finish your application.
- Click the link in your email and complete the rest of the application fields and submit.
- You will be directed to your application status portal. You will be able to pay your application fee and upload supplemental materials on this page. You will also receive another email with a link to this page so you can log in later and complete these steps and track your application progress.
As part of this process, applicants must do the following:
- Self-report all colleges and universities attended (including grade point average).
- Have three current letters of recommendation uploaded by recommender.
- Upload a letter of intent clearly stating goals, objectives, and specialty.
- Upload resume.
- Pay the application fee.
Second: Additional application materials must be sent directly to the School of Theatre & Dance.
- Request that official transcripts be sent to the School of Theatre & Dance from all colleges and universities you have attended (excluding University of Montana - unofficial transcript from UM accepted). Transcripts may also be transmitted electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Additional materials for each specialization as follows:
- MA Theatre: Writing sample of at least 10 pages, preferably a research paper or critical analysis
- MFA Theatre (Acting): Current headshot/resume
- MFA Theatre (Design/Technology): Design portfolio - digital, website, or physical versions accepted
- MFA Theatre (Directing): Statement of Directing Philosophy and production notebook
- MFA Theatre (Music Direction): Statement of Directing Philosophy and two filmed items:
- One movement from musical theatre repertoire without vocals, from a musical written between 1940 and 1960. Example: an overture, entr’acte, or dance break
- One song, accompanying a singer, from a standard (non-rock) musical.
- Fall Semester
- Applications for the MA and MFA in Acting are not currently open.
- Applications for the MFAs in Directing or Music Direction are not currently open.
- Applications for the MFA in Design/Technology are not currently open.
- Complete application packets received after these dates will be considered on a space-available basis.
Performing Arts and Radio/Television Center, Room 110
32 Campus Drive
Mail Stop 8136
Missoula, MT 59812
Graduate Program Coordinators
Bernadette Sweeney, Ph.D., Performance & Practice
Alessia Carpoca, Design & Technology
John Kenneth DeBoer