|Theatre (Acting)||MFA||Program Description|
|Theatre (Design/Technology)||MFA||Program Description|
|Theatre (Directing/Music Direction)||MFA||Program Description|
Applications are accepted as follows:
- MA Theatre: typically every three years; next application cycle TBD
- MFA Theatre (Acting): every three years; next application cycle TBD
- MFA Theatre (Design/Technology) : every year
- MFA Theatre (Directing/Music Direction): typically every three years; 2020-2021 for entry Fall 2021
Admission Application Instructions
- Applying for admission to the graduate program in Theatre is a two-or three-step process:
- First: Complete the Online Application (https://www.applyweb.com/apply/uomont/menu.html) As part of this process, applicants must do the following:
- Self-report all colleges and universities attended (including grade point average).
- Have three current letters of recommendation uploaded by recommender.
- Upload a letter of intent clearly stating goals, objectives, and specialty.
- Upload resume.
- Pay the application fee.
- Second: Additional application materials must be sent directly to the School of Theatre & Dance.
- Request that official transcripts be sent to the School of Theatre & Dance from all colleges and universities you have attended (excluding University of Montana - unofficial transcript from UM accepted). Transcripts may also be transmitted electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Additional materials for each specialization as follows:
- MA Theatre: Writing sample of at least 10 pages, preferably a research paper or critical analysis
- MFA Theatre (Acting): Current headshot/resume
- MFA Theatre (Design/Technology): Design portfolio - digital, website, or physical versions accepted
- MFA Theatre (Directing): Statement of Directing Philosophy and production notebook
- MFA Theatre (Music Direction): Statement of Directing Philosophy and two filmed items:
- One movement from musical theatre repertoire without vocals, from a musical written between 1940 and 1960. Example: an overture, entr’acte, or dance break
- One song, accompanying a singer, from a standard (non-rock) musical.
- Fall Semester
- Applications for the MA and MFA in Acting are not currently open.
- For full consideration for the MFAs in Directing or Music Direction, applications must be complete by February 1, 2021.
- For full consideration for the MFAs in Design/Technology, applications must be complete by March 1, 2021.
- Complete application packets received after these dates will be considered on a space-available basis.
Performing Arts and Radio/Television Center, Room 110
32 Campus Drive
Mail Stop 8136
Missoula, MT 59812
Graduate Program Coordinators
Bernadette Sweeney, Ph.D., Performance & Practice
Alessia Carpoca, Design & Technology